Port of Tauranga
The origins of today's world-class port at Tauranga can be traced to the 1860s when the first pilot, Captain T S Carmichael, fixed leading buoys and marks in position to define the navigable channel.
Before this time the Port did not have a wharf, and it was common practice to load and unload cargo on the wooden trading vessels at low tide using ox carts.
1828 - The visit of the missionary schooner Herald, probably the first European vessel to enter the harbour.
1853 - Captain Drury in HMS Pandora surveyed and charted the coast and harbour.
1873 - The Port of Tauranga was officially established by order of the Governor of New Zealand.
1882 - The Lady Jocelyn of 2,138 tonnes was the first large sailing vessel to enter the harbour.
1912 - A Tauranga Harbour Board was constituted to administer the affairs of the harbour.
1913 - First meeting of the Tauranga Harbour Board.
1927 - Railway Wharf at Tauranga was completed and used almost exclusively for coastal shipping until the visit of the James Cook in 1948 to load timber for Australia.
1953 - First pile driven for Mount Maunganui wharf. The first ship, the MV Korowai berthed at the new wharf on 5 December 1954.
1957 - First log shipment to Japan - 158 tonnes.
1960 - First tug Mount Maunganui was commissioned at the Port.
1967 - First container unloaded.
1972 - Port Caroline, the world's largest conventional refrigerated cargo liner, visits the Port for the first time.
1978 - Kaimai rail tunnel opened by Sir Robert Muldoon, substantially reducing travelling times between the Port and Hamilton/Rotorua areas.
1979 - $3.9 million heavy lift multi-purpose gantry crane operational.
1985 - New Zealand Steel announce decision to use Tauranga for import/export trade.
1985 - Establishment of Port of Tauranga Limited.
1988 - As a consequence of Government port reform, the Bay of Plenty Harbour Board is disestablished and Port of Tauranga Limited begins operations.
1988 - The Tauranga Harbour Bridge is completed, significantly joining the communities of Tauranga and Mount Maunganui.
1990 - Record annual cargo throughput of 5.1 million tonnes.
1992 - $100 million Tauranga Terminal development completed and wharves opened for shipping.
1996 - Formation of The Cargo Company Limited, a joint-venture with Owens Services BOP Limited for on-wharf cargo consolidation.
1998 - Tauranga Container Terminal buys fleet of 10 straddle carriers from Hong Kong. Navis information system commissioned.
1999 - Port of Tauranga establishes New Zealand's first fully integrated inland port service - MetroPort Auckland.
1999 - Australia-New Zealand Direct Line (ANZDL) becomes the first shipping line to use MetroPort Auckland.